MAP sensing for IR systems

MysticZ lt1_z28 at houston-f-body.org
Tue Mar 28 04:56:36 GMT 2000

nacelp wrote:

> Speaking in the realm of GM ecms:

That's what I know too (F-body, spec.), but my plaything is way
different.

> MAF, in some applications, maybe.  The only real problem with MAF is the lag
> of the wire changing temps, and the correction for that.

Yup, plus the very wide range of temps the sensor will be sitting in.
There is no radiator fan, which is fine, but makes the temps go all over
the place.

> MAP, shouldn't be a problem, unless you run into problems filtering it, then
> Alpha-N.  To me Aplha-N's are just for when you run out of camshaft manners
> at idle, and the transistion off idle.

The idle is a bit rough on this bike. 2 cylinder, enormous carbs
compared to a car (this .5 liter engine will have nearly the same size
throttle body as my 5.7 liter V8)

> Once ya get over 1,500 in just about
> any engine, you should be able to read a MAP well enough to get a handle on
> things.  It's the low speed sesitivity that gives you problems, not the lack
> of it.

1500 is the idle speed of this engine ;)

> There are two items here, the electronics of the matter, and the
> mechanicals.  You need to filter, both to some degree.  The Apha-N, is the
> poorest of lot, since it doesn't even do that.  Then if your running a vac
> referenced regulator, you got another bucket of worms to resolve.

I won't be able to control a regulator with vacuum. Won't happen. What I
hope to make work is a fixed pressure (and quite high to help with
atomization) and changing the fuel flow purely with injector duty cycle.
--
Steve
97 Chevy Camaro Z28, Mystic teal, A4, not stock