Fuel pressure waring light

Bernd Felsche bernie at perth.dialix.com.au
Tue Mar 28 04:12:50 GMT 2000

mike mager writes:

>Clint S. said:

>>I would like to install a fuel pressure idiot light, I have a turbo and
>>would like to know if pressure drops off at high boost .

>Sure, but do you need a computer to do it?!
>What precision, accuracy, resolution, are you considering?

A good question - oil pressure transducers don't have guarranteed
compatability; well the local VDO guys aren't about to.

EFI runs from anywhere between 200kPa and 400kPa - there could be
others, but that gives you an order of magnitude. Note that the
pressure is often regulated to be relative to the manifold pressure.

It's interesting that pressure isn't measured directly in
garden-variety ECUs, seeing that it's directly related to
controlling the amount of fuel injected. The feedback from Lambda
does help to tighten mixture regulation, but knowing the fuel
pressure in the first place can allow you to fine-tune the injection
time before the combustion takes place.

Besides; the wide-band Lambda technology is still bleeding edge so
maximum power output at a rich mixture is out-of-band for the
"switching" type.

(Hope to see one of those new affordable wide-band gadgets RSN. :-)

--
Real Name: Bernd Felsche
    Email: nospam.bernie at perth.DIALix.com.au