data logger files - software to read them

Roger Heflin rah at horizon.hit.net
Fri Mar 31 15:56:59 GMT 2000

On Fri, 31 Mar 2000, alexpeper wrote:

> If car 96+ OBD2  I will look at. If in SAE Jxxxx format will be able to
> decode.
> A problem with GM is there encryption is to make different models
> and years have different values of data for the same message.  I can also
> provide a OBD2 vehicle simulator to obtain data and determine scaling.
> Alex

The GM data encoding is not in any way shape or form and encryption.
It is simply a encoding of what data bits are what.  Encryption
denotes someone attempting to make the data hard to deal with, I don't
believe they did that, I believe the just encoded the data the easiest
and quickest way.   Their scalings are based on what ranges the
sensors have and how many bits they have to encode the data in.   THey
also have limited space for the error flags, so to make the messages
all be the same, they would need to have more bytes in the data stream
(alot of which are unused) and would have less frames per  second.

				Roger