Wide ratio O2 sensors

Will McGonegal McGonegal.Will at etc.ec.gc.ca
Fri Mar 31 16:13:10 GMT 2000

>------------------------------

>Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 20:01:31 -0800
>From: garwillis at msn.com (Garfield Willis)
>Subject: Re: O2 sensor response times- catalyst

>Argh. All I'm at liberty to say to the immediately above is "BZZZT".
>Remember I warned ya, these devices are both spendy and VERY easy to
>destroy by over-pumping or mis-pumping (pumping in the wrong direction).
.
.
.
.
>I won't be saying too much more about tech stuff concerning these
>sensors; as an instrument vendor I'm just not able to participate the
>way I'd like to, without raising suspicions of bias. C'est le vie. Just
>caveat your emptors, doods, and save at least one good, pristine,
>virgin, unmangled sensor for EGOR, will ya?

>TTFN,
>Gar

I can appreciate your reluctance to respond about the nitty gritty details of
how these devices are to be used.  I am eagerly waiting to find out what your
product will be.  For now we'll hook our sensors up to the NTK box at work so we
don't fry them.

We were using the wide ratio O2 sensor yesterday on a vehicle with a
programmable FI computer.  The car was on one of our chassis dynamometers.  I
set up the dyno controller software to hold the dyno at steady speeds for the
testing.  The throttle setting could be varied and the dyno would hold the speed
constant.  The air-fuel-ratio was read off the NTK system and adjustments to the
fuel injection computer were made to get desired AFR.  It really worked well.
You could see the AFR reading quickly respond as the FI settings were changed.
Handy tools to have.

Will