easy anti-lag

dennis spoolboy at autospeed.com
Fri May 19 23:51:38 GMT 2000

>From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?J=F6rgen_Karlsson?= <jurg at pp.sbbs.se>

>Subject: RE: easy anti-lag system

>An ALS usually use a valve that bypasses the throttle, adds fuel, retards

>ignition and misses ignition pulses.

Thank you. I know some systems only use some of these features. Do a few of these systems use all of these?

>One suggestion is to use a switch on the clutch pedal that activates the

>system, if the clutch is down the system will be active.

I want this to "hit" when decelerating too. I figure a switch of some sort on the throttle would be the main control. I think 2 different "programs" would be the hot ticket. One for drag style launches, armed via speed sensor, gear shift selector in 1st, or clutch down, or a combo of these. And another for cornering that is more aggressive and has a 2-5sec timer on it. The cornering system would use the throttle switch.

I'd also like to cut ignition pulses when shifting.....

This opens the

>bypass valve,

I might try to get the AIS motor to act like a bypass.

Don't know if it will work or not.

activates a MSD ignition retard (20deg),

Do you think the 20deg retard would be enough in combination with the other features?

 activates the low

>setting on a MSD soft rev limiter (3000rpm?).

I think you would want a "hard" limiter for best results, I could be wrong. Haven't tried the rev limit part yet. Retarding the timing to 35ATDC makes it hard for the engine to go over 2-3000rpm anyway. I think for the cornering setup I would want a random miss, instead of an actual limit, to keep the a/f mix in the exhaust manifold lit. Still in the research/experiment stages of this, so I could be wrong on all of this.

Some tampering with the MAP

>signal also helps.

Gonna do that.

A hoobs switch set at the desired boost (2-3psi?) can

>close the bypass valve to regulate the pressure.

Or maybe turn the whole mess off.

This way you have most of

>the functions of a real bangbang. An electronic blow off vavle can let the

>turbo spin more freely, it is not really boost you want, it is a fast

>spinning turbo.

Might use a small vac solenoid fed from the brake booster(ala cruise control) to open a stock BOV.

The car is currently a "suck thru" with the turbo drawing air through the throttle body. This really throws some variables in! But I've got about a zillion turbo's and other spares for this system that I don't care if I blow apart, so this makes for a good test subject.

>The above system would 'stutter' at 3000rpm when the clutch is down and the

>throttle is closed and will release lot of energy in the exhaust manifold.

>An EGT meter is very important as the EGT will be _very_ high when the

>system is active. The more fuel you add the hotter it will be...

I will have my EGT installed before this system is operational. More fuel will make it hotter?

Please explain.

>Prepare to fix cracked manifolds and broken turbos if you use a bang bang,

See above.

>small NOS shot is probably a safer soloution. but dont let this stop you.

>BTW we used a MSD rev limiter set at 2500rpm on a friends syclone, it raised

>the boost from 6psi at 3k without to 19psi at 2.5k with the rev limiter off the

>line. That is to much...

Wow. My thinking is that too much is just right!

>Jörgen Karlsson

>From: Chad Clendening <clendenc at execpc.com>

>Subject: Re: easy anti-lag system

>What year , system ?

Thanks Chad.

The car is an 87 Shelby Charger T1 suck thru. I have run multiple Logic Modules in it from 85-87, and it is wired to use just about anything I want to throw in it. It's an experimental driver.

>I have the spark tables in the 85 turbo done ( and a win32 PC interface), the code in the 86-7 is similiar.

I wish I had the knowledge and hardware/software to use something like that, but I am currently not able.

Give me a year.....

What is the best way to find the info I need in order to be able to fiddle with the programming and stuff?

I know nearly nothing about computers or hardware. I do learn things quickly tho...

>It may be possible to do some in the logic module but the computer spark can only (easily) be retarded to the falling edge of the dist referance

>signal.  ( 0 to 10 deg ATDC).

Is that with the 85 small dizzy? or the 86+ big one?

Measuring and using some math I figured about 52deg *total movement* with the 85 and 45deg with the 86+.

How much does this thing advance at it's highest point?

 It should be possible to retard this more by turning the distributor and compensating in the

>base spark table, ... but it may present starting problems.

No tip-in advance either. This part has really got me thrown for a loop. It might be easier to just make something that physically turns the distributor or accessory shaft 47deg. My other option is retrofitting some sort of DIS(say off of a Neon or a DOHC 2.2 R/T engine).

>There is a pin on the processor ( not connected OR labeled in books) which is only used for a small change when used This could

>be re-routed to a spark retard.

Interesting.

>Chad

Do y'all think this might work OK without the timing retard if I do all of the rest of the tricks?

Thanks.

==
Dennis Doza II
87Shelby Charger B/S-15.8 at 88mph-Driver
87Shelby Charger R/S-13.24 at 103mph-Dad's racer
99Dakota Sport-15.5 at 87mph-For Sale $13,000
85Shelby Charger Red-15.1 at 96mph-dead-partscar
Member of Gateway Neon and Modern Mopars
http://204.50.82.80/gwneon/memb/dennisd.htm