easy anti-lag

dennis spoolboy at autospeed.com
Tue May 23 01:16:39 GMT 2000

the different methods has different problems. I would think
>that for example only retarding the ignition will heat the exhaust valve a
>lot. Missing to many sparks at a time put more strain on the turbine wheel,
>but lets the valves run cooler.

I see what you mean. I will probably only use the rev limiter part for drag launches. The "cornering mode" is the tricky one. I think I'll just start with a soft rev limiter and increased idle speed. I don't care a whole lot about this car, but I don't want to break stuff if I can keep from it. That's why I decided to try this on this car in the first place.

>It looks like we want very similar systems but I am mostly after the
>dragrace part.

We have a car that is a dedicated drag car. It is the one in my signature that went 13.24 at 103. Still got a lot to do......

But if your ignition is
>not true sequential a fuel rev limiter is not safe either.

I don't get the true sequential ignition part?
Please explain. Like non-wasted spark?
Or do you mean true sequential *injection*?
I could understand that.

>I think that a separate bypass is easier to work with, one that is not
>working as a stepper motor is probably best.

Will be doing some simple tests soon. My idle speed motor is a 2 wire unit. Should be easy to figure out.
(famous last words!)

With the power disconnected from it it idles at 3000rpm. This is after forcing it closed to normal idle speed, then unplugging it while running. I think it requires voltage to stay closed. More voltage=more closed. I haven't had time to throw the DVOM at it yet.
I need to do more testing.......

>> Do you think the 20deg retard would be enough in combination with
>> the other features?
>
>Yes, I dont think that more can be used without burning valves anyway.

I've had my distributor turned to 35ATDC for 10 minutes at a time, holding 11psi of boost in the intake for more than a minute. Still got good compression/leakdown. I don't know if I'd try this on a car I *really* liked tho;)

>A hard revlimiter is probably as far as you can get from a ordinary ALS.
>
>A random miss is what the soft touch rev limiter work with, this is the
>closest thing you can get to a ordinary ALS without using custom parts. But
>if you are building something you want something that has a set miss
>frequency, like 'miss ignite miss ingite' or 'miss ignite ignite' that is
>how most bang bang works. I think that the later sequence is what you are
>looking for, the more misses you have the more aggressive the banging on the
>turbo is. But on the dragstrip I think that a soft touch rev limiter is
>best.

I see what you're saying now. Each miss is equal to one pump of unburned air/fuel in the manifold/exhaust system/turbo. More misses=bigger bang. (light-bulb on above head)

I'm kinda handy with a soldering iron, but new to making radio-shack gizmos. I might try to make something from a 555 timer that is adjustable for percent of miss. Any hints for a newby are welcome.

>> The car is currently a "suck thru" with the turbo drawing air
>> through the throttle body. This really throws some variables in!
>> But I've got about a zillion turbo's and other spares for this
>> system that I don't care if I blow apart, so this makes for a
>> good test subject.
>
>Wasn't it a modern Dodge we talked about?

Yes. 1987 Dodge Shelby Charger 2.2 T1 5spd

Suck thru setups are (almost?)
>only used with carbs...

Dodge=Different. LOL!

I get dissy when I think of all the problems this
>will cause when used together with a bang bang, can you move the turbo to
>the right side of the TB?

Not easily. I want to try it with this setup, cause I got 4 more turbos and exhaust manifolds in my basement. The turbos are in "I should probly have this rebuilt, but...." shape.

How is the air measured?

Speed Density via MAP sensor and RPM.

Does it have an
>intercooler?

NOPE!! It'll have water injection and/or NOS for cooling once I'm done playing with anti-lag...if the engine is still alive.

>> I will have my EGT installed before this system is operational.
>> More fuel will make it hotter?
>>
>> Please explain.
>
>The more fuel you have the slower it will burn, the more of it will burn in
>the exhaust manifold.

I'm just used to thinking of more fuel=cooler with egts. I see now what you're saying.

>A few WRC teams has (Subaru? and a few others) stopped using bang bangs,
>because they had turbo failiures to often.

I like to be different. And I got stuff to destroy. I also love to experiment.

>> Wow. My thinking is that too much is just right!
>
>The same goes for me, but only as it makes the car faster...

Yeah, but I bet that's fun on cruise night!

>We used it to get consistent launches, the only thing that was consistent
>with 19psi from the line was the 100yard 4wheel burnouts and the 2.5s 60'
>times...

Cool!

This car makes a lot of power, probably the worlds fastest GMC
>Syclone with stock block and crank. 11.53 at 126mph on a very slippery track
>this weekend, hopefully we will be able to run on a very fast track in a
>month.

Good luck!
Thanks for the input!

==
Dennis Doza II
87Shelby Charger B/S-15.8 at 88mph-Driver
87Shelby Charger R/S-13.24 at 103mph-Dad's racer
99Dakota Sport-15.5 at 87mph-For Sale $13,000
85Shelby Charger Red-15.1 at 96mph-dead-partscar
Member of Gateway Neon and Modern Mopars
http://204.50.82.80/gwneon/memb/dennisd.htm