Knock Sensor error

Hunt David huntd at tce.com
Thu May 25 14:17:57 GMT 2000

Mike Writ >
I have a TPI system on a 350 that has been running fine for about six
months. Its basically a 90 IROC setup
with a MAP system. I am running a Painless harness.
For some unknown reason the computer started setting a Code 43 - which is a
problem in the Knock Sensor
circuit. I have checked all the voltages indicated in the diagnostics, from
startup, running, etc, checked
continuity and all the variables possible. I have replaced the knock sensor
, the Cal pack and the ECM. I still
get a CODE 43. If that's not enough, i have checked the timing while running
and it does not seem to be affected
- - that is it looks like it is getting the same advance as it was without
the code being set. Nothing else seems
to have changed. I am out of possibilities. Can anyone offer me assistance.
TIA

mike

Mike,

One idea, check for noise in the engine.  Use a stick (broom handle is good
- w/o broom) and put one end at the knock sensor.  Cup the other end to your
ear with your hand. (Or use a stethoscope) and listen.  Most likely culprits
might be a noisy lifter, bad rocker or other valve train component.  You
will be able to hear what the sensor hears.

dh