Knock Sensor error

Buchholz, Steven Steven.Buchholz at kla-tencor.com
Thu May 25 21:21:18 GMT 2000

> One idea, check for noise in the engine.  Use a stick (broom handle is
good
> - w/o broom) and put one end at the knock sensor.  Cup the other end to
your
> ear with your hand. (Or use a stethoscope) and listen.  Most likely
culprits
> might be a noisy lifter, bad rocker or other valve train component.  You
> will be able to hear what the sensor hears.

Good call!  I had a friend with a VW-GTi that had a KS ignition who was
complaining the motor was really down on power.  Turns out a mounting
bracket for the AC compressor was broken and the compressor was banging on
the side of the block.  You may be fortunate in it not being an internal
engine component like he was ...

Good luck in any event!
Steve Buchholz
San Jose, CA (USA)