Underhood Temperatures

Garfield Willis garwillis at msn.com
Fri May 26 01:03:10 GMT 2000

On Fri, 26 May 2000 08:38:52 +0800 (WST), bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
wrote:

>Garfield Willis tapped away at the keyboard with:
>
>> The only definitive way to go about this is to shoot the engine
>> compartment with a well-focused infrared gun, or better yet, mark it up
>> with some templsticks to see what kind of temps you're dealing with,
>> with the hood down, and following heat soak. You can get those
>> indicators from 125degF all the way up to 2500degF!!, but they have a
>> nice set from 125degF to 800degF. Take a look at:
>> 	http://www.tempil.com/tempilstik.htm
>
>Hasn't anybody heard of Heisenberg?

Nice try, Bernie, but no cigar, not even a light :), doesn't apply here,
certainly not even theoretically, with the temp sticks. They *record*
the highest temps achieved in situ, so they're not affected by the
"experimenter".

Besides, I'd wager you've never shot underhood temps with a gun either;
otherwise, you'd know things don't cool off all that fast when you
suddenly open the hood. The AIR temps change rapidly, but the temps of
objects do not. You can very effectively scan an area for hotNcold spots
with a gun for at least a couple minutes before things begin to chill
appreciably. If for example you wanted to know how some piece of
equipment would fair in a particular place, you take a bit of aluminum
about it's size and mass, and place it in that spot. If you don't want
it to pick up from conduction (say you plan on isolation mounting it),
just lay it on a wad of fiberglass cloth you've folded up underneath it.

Run the engine up to peak temps, then let soak (or not; both tell a diff
story), then open the hood and shoot the sample. Those guns can be a
godsend, and the better ones you can get to focus down onto an area the
size of a dime.

Oh, to answer your question, *I've* heard of Heisenberg. Wasn't he the
guy that built that blimp that crashed? So, what about him? :)

Gar