Underhood Temperatures

bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Fri May 26 03:54:22 GMT 2000

Shannen Durphey tapped away at the keyboard with:

> Is the problem caused by leaky injectors?  No, not that I've seen.

Well, that's good to know.

> Is it caused by design faults?  Well...  That requires more knowledge
> about the design process than I have.

> As a tech, my goal is not necessarily to ferret through the myriad
> "whys" behind a system's design, but to understand what is
> malfunctioning, and why, then find a "good fix".
> Ford 8 cyl pfi trucks that vaporlock have fuel rails close to the
> intake manifold.  Put a trailer behind the truck on a dry 100 degree
> day, travel down the highway for 40 miles, and the rails get hot
> enough to burn skin.  Adding extra line to the return side and
> clamping it to the frame rail opposite the exhaust is a good fix.

That seems like a design issue then. (Insufficient flow rate/too
much thermal input.)

I was wondering because I've only experience vapour lock precisely
once in my EFI vehicle; and it fixed itself within two more tries of
the starter.

--
Bernd Felsche - Innovative Reckoning
Perth, Western Australia