EGOR future...was(Autronic Questions)

Garfield Willis garwillis at msn.com
Wed Nov 1 22:39:13 GMT 2000

On Tue, 31 Oct 2000 12:11:33 CST, "Jerod Harris" <mytkwik at hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Has anyone heard what the status is on EGOR?
>
>Jerod

Oooops, missed this from not getting around to the Autronics thread too
swiftamundo.

Two things on the horizon for ole EGOR:

1)	We are now on a purportedly short waiting list (so we've been told
by the property managers) for building space in the same complex where
some friends have their auto restoration ops setup already. Having a
reference from an already known-good client sposedly has put us up at
the top of the list. It will still be a bit spendy, but hey, this is the
SillyCone valley, so whadaya 'spect? The property manager told me just
today she expects to have something opening up "real soon". Har. But I
think at this point it's only a matter of a month or so before we see
daylight, instead of not having ANY clue where the shop would eventually
land.

2)	With Bruce & anon's recent announcement of their DIY UEGO project,
we will probly pass the "low-cost" banner to them; the whole "cause" of
EGOR was originally wrapped up making good on the promise of getting
something out to proformance hobbyists, that was about as cheap as a DIY
project; but which kept the margins so low we couldn't work with anyone
else, since there was only margin enough for direct sales. It WAS
originally a DIY project until several list members openly threatened to
ignore my "non-commercial" proviso, and said they intended to build as
many as they pleased for sale. So I had no choice but to take it
"commercial" meself; I wasn't about to knowingly hand something over to
self-avowed pirates. So everybody had to wait for the commercial
development process and it's attendant delays. That ended up taking a
couple years! But NOW with Bruce's project finally having working
hardware, I can let HIM worry about all that (if he cares to. :) .

What that will probly mean is the low-cost model of EGOR that we
originally built for the first lot, and which appears at the FTP site,
won't be sold anymore, and we'll focus on the second generation device,
which we had been building the first model of for Frank Parker, because
of his major help to us, beyond anyone else's, during the initial EGOR
development, as well as the first round of testing. (Besides, he had a
bunch of UEGO electrics already, owning both NTK & SpeedPro gear, so
that an ordinary ole EGOR wouldn't do much for him). I can only tell you
that the "FP" model :) has inputs from INJ signals, MAP, as well as IGN
and ref TIMING, and will provide a much more complete look into the
actual/commanded power, as well as AFR and true/actual timing.

The idea/direction we've always intended to take EGOR is to make these
improvements incrementally, moving the hand-held meter from a simple AFR
measurement tool, towards a "performance" measurement tool, with the
final "coup de grace" being the addition of ION circuitry readout, so
that AFR, boost/MAP, actual timing, commanded power, and finally knock
detection/margin measurement could be combined all in one view.

Bruce's DIY UEGO development will just allow us to bypass the "first
step", and focus on the future more, where the "perceived value" of this
new EGOR model can be high enough to justify it as a venture that will
pay for itself, instead of operating as a semi-charity/zip-profit
substitute for a DIY project stillborn for lack of agreement on the
conditions. If you're disappointed at this turn of events for EGOR, you
have only your fellow list compadres to thank, and especially those who
in the early days refused to abide by a "non-commercial" agreement. Let
that be a lesson for the future.

So that's a long-winded rendition of "what's the status of EGOR".

HTH,
Gar