General theory on EFI

Andy Laurence rodneyfunnie at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 6 19:39:25 GMT 2000

>Correct me if I am wrong but I get the feeling from your posts to
>this list that you don't know very much about what and engine
>needs from a fuel/ignition system (carb, efi whatever) I suggest you
>read up first on what an engine needs before going any further.

No correction needed, I am not entirely sure how you know whether the engine
has the right amount of fuel or not.  This is what I am trying to find out
(or sources to find out).  I would appreciate any sources of info for where
I could learn about this.  I am right about just having to change the pulse
width and/or timing, and IF I can find out whether the engine is
under/overfuelled, I can adjust accordingly.  At the moment, I am wandering
around in a dark building, but lights are slowly turning on in various
rooms.

>Also find out how the current systems work. Car manufactures
>have spent a lot of money researching how make Efi so why re-
>invent the wheel? There is far more to it than you think there is. The
>air/fuel ratio that the engine needs isn't set. It depends on what is
>being asked from the engine. Same goes for the ignition timing.

I don't underestimate anything, I just like to simplify things to motivate
myself (does that sound like a contradiction? :-)  I like long projects
which I can sink my teeth into at my leisure, and I tend to have around 5-10
going at a time so I can switch to another project when I want to freshen my
mind.

Andy (feeling like he's rambling on a bit....)