General theory on EFI

Pat Ford pford at qnx.com
Mon Nov 6 20:25:13 GMT 2000

Previously, you (Jeff Webb) wrote:
{ Andy Laurence wrote:
{ > around (friend in the passenger seat at the keyboard).  Has anyone else used
{ > the system on the site with a PC as the ECU, as I cannot download the zip
{ > file with the schematic.  It seems like a really good system, especially
{ > with all those in/outputs, although I will probably run it via Linux.

 I did it, used it as an information gather tool. I don't want to run this for too long. Interestingly enough the pc injection doesn't reall require an rtos, the way Al Lipper designed it the timers get loaded and run until something needs to change

{
{ Two things to consider:
{
{ 1) Most PC's are not suitable for automotive use, due to temperature,
{ vibration, and reliability concerns.  I would imagine that laptops
{ should be better than desktops, and PC/104 boards may be the best bet.
{ If you're just playing around, then you can probably make things work.
{ If you want a dependable driver, then you should research this
{ carefully.  Just something to think about.

 pc104 would be the way to go and avoid harddrives they really don't like the vibes
and temps.(btdt got toasted parts to show)

{
{ 2) Linux is not a real-time operating system.  Look at www.rtlinux.org
{ if you want to use linux for controlling an EFI system.

 or you can download the new free version of QNX, the linux realtime extension
is an interesting beast, it runs linux as a task. This works great until you need a kernal call then yur r/t goes out the window

{
{ Good luck, and have fun.
{
{ Jeff Webb
{ To unsubscribe from diy_efi, send "unsubscribe diy_efi" (without the quotes)
{ in the body of a message (not the subject) to majordomo at lists.diy-efi.org
{

Pat Ford                           email: pford at qnx.com
QNX Software Systems, Ltd.           WWW: http://www.qnx.com
(613) 591-0931      (voice)         mail: 175 Terence Matthews
(613) 591-3579      (fax)                 Kanata, Ontario, Canada K2M 1W8