Lucas injectors

944 Technologist 944technologist at my-deja.com
Wed Nov 8 11:17:56 GMT 2000

>> FYI - Be aware that alcohol eats rubber. all rubber has to be
>> replaced with plastic parts. To convert to methanol, we had to
>> find carb. rebuild kits with all plastic parts back during the
>> late 70's fuel shortages. Are your injectors going to be alcohol safe?
>
>That is one of the things I would like to find out, are there any internal
>rubber parts or any part that will be damaged by methanol. For example raw
>aluminum.
>
>Jörgen

Isn't stainless steel the preferred material for alcohol? I also just read a Material Safety Report on methanol, that it "May react with metallic aluminum and generate hydrogen gas." Methanol is a slight oxidizer which is why it is mildly corrosive.

My previous statement about rubber was a little brief. Not only rubber, but many plastics are attacked by methanol. It was a specific type of plastic that we were looking for. Teflon I believe. It has been a while. New synthetic rubber materials have been designed to handle alcohol. We found most of the carb parts we needed in the southern USA states where they were using "gasohol", gasoline with 10% ethanol. Even at 10%, it is very corrosive. It has been over 20 years and I can't find any of my old notes.

Not only will the injectors be affected. Fuel pumps, fuel tanks, fuel filters, pressure regulators, fuel lines, etc. Even the float/sender in you fuel tank might be affected. There are external rubber O-rings on the injectors that seal to the fuel rail. You will need to replace the O2 sensor with another type that will work accurately with methanol fuel.

FR Wilk