Motronic Question - load?

Sander Derksen sander.qv at zonnet.nl
Wed Nov 8 10:31:13 GMT 2000

> Load is used on all Motronic maps. Load is defined as how well the
> cylinder is filled. The input that determines load is
> the barn door or hot wire. But the barn door is maxed out between
> 3,000 and 4,000 RPM. How is load determined above that
> point?

As I'm doing some reverse engineering on a motronic ML4.1, I try to
explain what I found sofar.

Load on the motronic is calculated as:  Load = Airflow / RPM .

This 'Load' is than taken as the basic for the injection timing. All
other factors (VE, temp., batt. volt, O2 sensor, ...) are only adjusting
this basic timing.

The Airflow signal (from AFM or MAF) is valid for the complete rpm and
load range !

For more info you could also look in the old archives and search for
'landshark'.

Sander.