Do I need an Air Flow Meter?

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Sun Nov 12 02:24:25 GMT 2000

IMO

one map sensor for barometric presure
one for engine vac
intake air temp
RPM
Should be enough for a substitute AFM
Or use a late GM MAF and just do a freg., to what ever output your AFM uses
Bruce

> Hi all,
>
>   I'm in the process of putting an engine in my car, an '87 MR-2.  I've
looked at the AFM, a flapper door type,
>   and decided that it is very restrictive.  I'm contemplating building a
circuit that looks like an AFM to the
>   computer.  I will link this circuit to the throttle linkage.  I know
that the computer needs this information, but
>   isn't it using it to measure how much load is on the engine, ie. More
load = more vacuume = more open AFM
>   door?  Instead of the computer determining load, the driver will
determine it by how much he presses the
>   petal.  Think of it as a variable substitution into the fuel equation.
>
>   If that wont work, how about this.  Then I get a MAP sensor and make an
op-amp circuit which maps the
>   outputs appropriately.  A MAP is a lot less restrictive than an AFM.
>
>   Since the car isn't running yet, I've had a lot of time  (too much?) to
think about things like this.  I've also had
>   the oportunity to learn about just about ever major system in it.  The
car is a project car, so when it is running,