Distributorless ignition (I'm new around here)

ABNENGINEERING at cs.com ABNENGINEERING at cs.com
Thu Nov 23 08:10:32 GMT 2000

     I am intrested in making a distributorless ignition for my early V8
engine...My electronics training is limited to a junior college "Introduction
to electronics" course and a semester of "Electronic math".  I have read
Drury's DDIS article...but even that was a little much for me, as I didn't
understand alot of the lingo.
     My goal right now is to just build the initial infrastructure needed to
fire the coils at idle with static advance. I've broken this down into
subgroups:

1. Power my coils, The coils are junkyard sourced from the late 80's GM 3.8
liter 6cyl three coil packs.  I've been looking for a four coil pack from an
Aurora or something but they don't seem to have trickled down to the "pick a
part" yet.

2. Trigger the ignition, I was thinking of four hall effect transducers at 90
degree intervals and a magnet epoxied into the crank pulley.

3. Control the coils, Find the correct transistor to work with the hall
effects in order to control current to the coils.

     My current quandary is what type of hall effect sensor I should choose,
www.digikey.com requests info. such as "output type" and "package/case" and I
really don't know what my parameters should be.  Can anyone suggest the best
transducer for my application?  Someday I will advance to digital control of
the advance curve and maybe even fuel injection but right now I am just
trying to keep everything as simple and cheap as possible.  My sincere thanks
to those who have read this far...any input is valued.