Knock sensor

Scott Croughwell scott at outwest.net
Fri Nov 24 19:09:56 GMT 2000

> My SAAB service manual (1986 900 16V Turbo) shows the sensor orientation
is
> also important;  the wire connector angled so many degrees off vertical.

Interesting.  I've always learned that the frequency the knock sensor is
tuned to depends on the cylinder bore diameter of the engine.  But, J&S
Electronics sells their knock/ignition kit with a generic GM sensor and make
no mention of special mounting procedures other than the sensor should be
mounted to the stiffest part of the block, say, at the bottom near the
mains.  And they are a very reputable company!

Personally, I purchased a knock sensor from a 96+ Honda Civic to mount in my
'91 Civic (same engine bore dia) and was going to hook it up to a 30 LED
graph, but I just don't know the peak voltage to expect from the sensor.

Scott