ESC & check light problem

TomQ zippy at tomquinn.com
Mon Nov 27 19:41:37 GMT 2000

Hello all. I am new to the list and I have a question I hope someone can
help me with. I am currently installing the FI system from a Chevy S-10
on to my Inline 6 Toyota motor. The FI is from a '88 Chevy S-10 w/ 4.3 L
TBI. The ECM I am using is #1227747. The Toyota motor is 4.2L so I think
I should be OK. Anyway I have everything hooked up and it starts and
runs, although not very well. Here are two of my current problems. First
the engine light does not come on at all, not anytime. I pulled the
light and using a VM checked the voltage at terminal A5, it never goes
to 12v. Bad ECM or Prom? My second problem is the motor seems to be
retarding the timing all the time. I purchased one of the handheld
diagnostic meters (EZLink) and hooked it up to the ALDL. It gave me an
error code of 43 ESC failure. checked it out and sure enough I had not
hooked it up at all. I guess that would be the reason for the timing
retard. Can I just pull the line (terminal B7) high or low to fix the
error without getting and installing the ESC module and knock sensor?
Thanks

-TomQ
SF,CA