ESC & check light problem

steve ravet sravet at arm.com
Mon Nov 27 20:24:10 GMT 2000

Have you looked at the schematics, either in a service manual or on the
WWW page?  You'd be way ahead to pay $70 or whatever to get the factory
service manual from helm, www.helminc.com.

1)  CEL is supplied +12 when the key is on.  When the ECM wants to light
it it supplies a ground to the other side of the light. See
ftp://ftp.diy-efi.org/pub/gmecm/manuals/1227747/747ecm4.jpg

2)  Sort of.  There is a voltage level from ESC to ECM that means "no
knock".  You could force it to that level with some resistors, or you
could just get a junkyard ESC and connect it to the ECM without a knock
sensor connected to the ESC, but you'll still get periodic code 43s.
Once in a while the ECM will run a test where it causes knock by
advancing the ingition while under load.  If it doesn't see knock under
these conditions it'll set the code.

You could either disable the code 43 check, or try to put together a
knock sensor that works.  I've "read" (for what that's worth) that the
frequency that the ESC looks for is related to cylinder bore, so maybe
look for a GM engine/app with a similar bore and use the knock sensor
and ESC module from that.  The knock sensor uses a 1/4" pipe thread.

--steve

--
Steve Ravet
steve.ravet at arm.com