EFI Pow wow (summary)

Garfield Willis garwillis at msn.com
Mon Oct 2 15:10:45 GMT 2000

On Mon, 2 Oct 2000 00:24:54 -0400, "Bruce Plecan" <nacelp at bright.net>
wrote:

>All, I will say is that those that attended, did see, look at, and saw a DIY
>WB O2 work.
>It was also run while the NTK was working, and while less dampened, read
>real close to the NTK unit.

Hey, congrats Bruce, and those others that have gotten it working; I
hope you'll have better success at getting them into people's hands in
a usable form, than we have so far. :)

>New issues based on preliminary data:
>To get a *stable* output for human viewing mandates alot of dampening.
>I have serious doubts  relating to a WB be used for sole control of WOT AFR
>control.
>What ever filtering will cover the problems with a lean cylinder (unless you
>run one per cylinder), and do individual data logging, then you'll need a
>SEFI and an individual cylinder injector driver correction to get the
>distrubution right in a reliable manner ...

I think what you're looking at is just a good steep learning curve;
some time back, I was put in touch with and talked with the guys that
have built custom Bosch LSM-11 based C/L WOT controllers for high-end
road-racers for over 10yrs now (they also were/are the company that
exclusively made the Bosch AFR meter that used the LSM-11, which Bosch
then labelled as their own stuff and sold as the LA-2 AFR meter), and
asked the guy, "so, do you think C/L WBO2 controllers are a proven
technology, or will be soon?", thinking I was asking what he thot
about the new SpeedPro/SEFI8LO system, and he snorted and then told me
about how they'd themselves been building customs for a LONG time
using the LSM-11 sensors, and that they were/are very successful.

So I think the things you're observing DO represent issues/problems,
but that they are surmountable, based on these other "existence proof"
examples already long in service. Since the art is "new", everybody
seems to be having to learn the "how to's" all over again; sad, but
pretty common when a technology is still new and closely held.

Anyway, good luck with your two new projects; I'll hang out in
anticipation of more info on the second. Meanwhile, the search
continues for a place for ole EGOR & ION to nest. Sigh.

Gar