speedo signal specs

ext-peter.betts at nokia.com ext-peter.betts at nokia.com
Mon Oct 9 06:39:52 GMT 2000

I can only speak for Toyota cars but..

They produce 4 pulses per revolution of the driven wheel. This is meant to
be a 0->5V signal but sometimes can be nearly 0->6V

I've designed speedo converters for Japanese imported cars into the UK (KPH
to MPH conversion). The circuit uses a FET transistor to condition the
signal comming in with a zener diode to protect against any signal going
above say 10V. The source of the FET is connected to a regulated 5V supply
rail which drives my little 12C508 PIC chip (Where the duty cycle or period
is modified etc, for duty you might need a bigger PIC like a 16C84).

The Drain of the FET goes to 0V and the Gate is connected to the input
signal via a 10K resistor.

At the junction of the 10K resistor and the gate of the FET is a 100K
resistor to 0V and in parallel a 10V zener diode.

This work brilliantly. Accepting signals down as low as about 0->2V to
0->12V (clipped at 10V due to zener). It always produces a 0->5V signal at
the source of the FET which is connected to my PIC chip input.

Pete