The classic "which aftermarket ECU" question

Jeff Bromberger blownz at home.com
Tue Oct 17 02:21:31 GMT 2000

First up, i don't claim to be an expert... but i have messed with the
autronic on my friends' eclipse gsx and i personally have the
felpro/wideband on my supercharged camaro. impressions: the autronic has way
more things that you can set and tinker with but it is less intuitive in the
way they are layed out (in my opinion, of course). The felpro is very easy
to tune for performance. the autronic requires some additional tools like a
wideband handheld unit. We never even got a manual with the autronic. the
felpro at least has a manual that explains the software and now a basic
manual that goes over the install... If you are concered about buring out
the o2 sensors, then just install it whenever you need to tune. Once your
tune is dialed in, you can usually gain some additional power and smoothness
by eliminating the closed loop mode anyway. I've been gradually removing the
rpm/load ranges where i let it do closed loop as i get those areas dialed in
to 0% correction.... all i can say is my friend with the autronic would kill
to have my felpro on his car. of course he is less of a hacker than some of
the people around here. those who want the ultimate in control will probably
not get it with the felpro. the autronic tries to do much more like control
a/c, tachs, traction control, etc... but for basic engine management i think
the felpro is hard to beat for the do-it-yourselfer...