data collection and storage.....

Jorgen Karlsson jurg at pp.sbbs.se
Fri Sep 1 04:37:02 GMT 2000

> The bus option allows you to solder a SIMM socket onto your own
> board so that you can roll your own signal protection and
> conditioning. GarNfarkle has written reams of stuff on protection
> circuitry, and Steve (IIRC) has recently posted some stuff on opto-
> isolation.

Unfortunally the adc channels are not available through the simmstick bus,
they are accessed through one of the connectors on the board. This makes me
doubt the use of a motherboard in this particular case.

> Depending on the number of samples you're taking, you will probably
> have to write data to off-chip storage from the 8535 ... one of the
> reasons why I asked about writing to CF a while back. (It's not
> staright-forward - even using a parallel-port widget designed for a
> PC.)

External memory will have to be used as you only can get 500 samples with
the internal memory. But I guess that comunicating with a SPI or other type
of serial eeprom is a lot easier from Bascom on an AVR then on a PC.

> The 8535 is unable to directly address external storage as it has no
> external address bus. However, the SPI can be used to talk directly
> to serial flash-type storage chips - though development of such a
> facility is perhaps beyond what you think are you limits.

Lots of code snippets are available for Bascom, most likely a SPI eeprom
example are available. ....time has passed five minuits to be exact.... I
found a I2C eeprom example, http://www.mcselec.com/download/avr/samples.zip.
i2c.bas is the file you want to check out.  The small footprint of the
eeproms makes me feel that it is natural to use them in 9pin dsub
'cartridges'.

Jorgen Karlsson
Gothenburg, Sweden