data collection and storage.....

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Fri Sep 1 07:14:28 GMT 2000

Jorgen Karlsson tapped away at the keyboard with:

> > The bus option allows you to solder a SIMM socket onto your own
> > board so that you can roll your own signal protection and
> > conditioning. GarNfarkle has written reams of stuff on
> > protection circuitry, and Steve (IIRC) has recently posted some
> > stuff on opto- isolation.
>
> Unfortunally the adc channels are not available through the
> simmstick bus, they are accessed through one of the connectors on
> the board. This makes me doubt the use of a motherboard in this
> particular case.

You can still use the MB for controls, digital data and power
distribution to your signal-conditioning on a prototyping board
(e.g. DT202) with headers to match. It makes the process more
'modular', something to encourage experimentation. One can start
with just one or two 'channels' and expand as necessary.
Inter-connects should probably be shielded of course...

> > The 8535 is unable to directly address external storage as it has no
> > external address bus. However, the SPI can be used to talk directly
> > to serial flash-type storage chips - though development of such a
> > facility is perhaps beyond what you think are you limits.

> Lots of code snippets are available for Bascom, most likely a SPI
> eeprom example are available. ....time has passed five minuits to
> be exact.... I found a I2C eeprom example,
> http://www.mcselec.com/download/avr/samples.zip.  i2c.bas is the
> file you want to check out.  The small footprint of the eeproms
> makes me feel that it is natural to use them in 9pin dsub
> 'cartridges'.

Do you have any more info regarding the I2C EEPROMs...  I can only
seem to find relatively-small devices (up to around 2048x8bit).
[microchip.com looks promising with 258kx8bit listed, but their site
is broken at the moment.]

Also http://www.st.com/stonline/products/selector/153.htm
  M24256 256Kb (x8), 400kHz PSDIP8

There's a simmstick with I2C capabilities at
http://www.dontronics.com/dt209.html so that seems like a usable
option. (My guess is that the reference to 'PCF8474' is a typo in
the sample code, should be PCF8574. See data at
http://216.35.77.145/pip/PCF8574AP.)

--
Bernd Felsche - Innovative Reckoning
Perth, Western Australia