disassembly of 6803 code

Peter Gargano peter at techedge.com.au
Wed Sep 6 19:17:17 GMT 2000

Christian Hack wrote:

> I have personally used DasmX to disassemble the 6802 code from
> my Nissan ECU. I then used Motorola's freeware assembler to put
> it back together. Doing this I end up with an exact binary image
> matching the original.

A "disassembler" that produces a string of DB, or DW instructions
will fulfil the requirements of your example.

> I didn't have to manually hack the code
> after dissassembling either. It just goes straight into the assembler

But did you hack the code, and did it still work afterwards?

I'd be surprised if any disassembler will automatically generate code
that adequately reflects non-trivial source code -- example..

Often source code will do something like:

  ldX	#label01+offset01

but the disassembler will only produce:

  ldX	#label02

If the size of the table at label01 is changed, or there are variables
you add between label01 and offet01,  then the code will assemble,
but the table address for the disassembled "source" will now be at the
wrong address.

*FREE* 68HC11 and GM utilities at http://www.techedge.com.au/utils/
Tell me if they don't do what you want, and I'll "fix" them.

Peter

PS. I often wonder about the origin of surnames; Smith I understand...