Pulsewidths & injectors & coils ;-)

Scot Sealander Sealand at clarityconnect.com
Thu Sep 14 00:26:52 GMT 2000

Nicholas Parker wrote:

> What are ballpark figures for the resolution (in time) you need for
> effective injector control?

Depends on a few things.  You may want to look at hot idle PWs.  My
car often idles around one mSec PW.  If I want +/- 1% control, I need
10 microsec resolution.  64 uSec would give 6.4% steps, as in .00100 to
0.001064.  I think that is too coarse.  100 uSec would be even worse.
My car uses 16 uSec resolution, BTW.

> What have people discovered empirically?  Is 8us stupidly small?

Not at all.  I think it is a good value.

> Is 64us too course?

Yes.

Scot Sealander