need datasheet/info for SpeedPro wideband sensor...

Jörgen Karlsson jurg at pp.sbbs.se
Tue Sep 19 00:21:00 GMT 2000

> I have a SpeedPro bank to bank wideband system on my car. Now
> that my car is
> dialed in and I run in open loop mode, i'd like to be able to use
> my sensor
> to tune other cars that don't have the SpeedPro computer. So what I'd like
> to do is build a handheld scanner that can connect to the
> wideband o2 sensor
> directly and display the readings. I'm thinking that this would
> be a pretty
> simple app for a PIC. What I need to know is what signals/voltages will i
> see on each of the wires and how do i translate them into a "X.Y:1" a/f
> ratio?  Who makes this sensor for SpeedPro and could I contact
> them directly
> for this technical data? any other tips would be appreciated. I just
> subscribed today, so I apologize if this has been talked about before.

It is not a simple task to use this sensor in any other application then
with the speed pro, Garfield Willis on this list has built a device called
EGOR that uses one of these sensors, and yes we have questions of this kind
all the time on this list.

The sensor Speed Pro uses (and EGOR) are a NTK UEGO sensor, this type is
made for Honda lean burn engines. Since your sensor cost around $400 from
speedpro and an identical senosor from www.hparts.com are under $100, you
don't want to fool around with your speedpro sensor. The calibration data
that is specific for each sensor comes on a disk for the speed pro, the
calibration resistor in the connector is not used by speed pro but is used
by the honda ecm. EGOR on the other hand uses a free air calibration and
sensors can be bought anywhere. EGOR is available (at least soon?) in two
forms, the meter at $379 w/o sensor and the module at $219 w/o sensor.

No usable data are available for these sensors, the data that you will find
will probably be missleading. But since mr Willis has done the work for us,
lets just wait for him to get the production up and running swiftly enough
to meet the demand.

I hope this answers your questions Jeff. By the way, I am impressed to hear
that you got your SpeedPro tuned well enough to go open loop. I find it hard
to get within 5%, I just limit the closed loop range to +-5%. Otherwise it
oscillates on the strip. The slightest detonation or missfire will throw it
way of, not to mention when the water injection kicks in...

Jörgen Karlsson
Gothenburg, Sweden