Holley TBI & EGR

akallotte at juno.com akallotte at juno.com
Tue Sep 19 23:15:13 GMT 2000

>From my service manual:

"The EGR system is used to lower NOx emmision levels caused by high
combustion temp.  It does this by decreasing combustion temp."  "If too
mcuh exhaust gas enters (from the EGR opening too much too soon),
combustion will not occur.  For this reason, very little exhaust gas is
allowed to pass through the valve, especially at idle.  The EGR valve is
usually open under the following conditions: warm engine operation, above
idle speed."

When mine died, I had a lot of knocking, so in my case it does cool
combustions chamber temps, but I don't know about helping the engine run
significantly cooler.

HTH