SpeedPro wideband sensor

dzorde at erggroup.com dzorde at erggroup.com
Wed Sep 20 00:08:00 GMT 2000

On Mon, 18 Sep 2000 20:00:09 -0700, romans at starstream.net (Romans,
Mark) wrote:

>You are right.  I had forgotten about the diskette.  He was chasing the
>resistor
>question at the time I talked to him about it.  Bottom line is that it's
>their way
>of charging you $400.00 for a $100.00 sensor and preventing you from using
>the $100.00 sensor to replace theirs.  It's all about $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Never having seen a Speedpro system or the calibration disk I could be way
wrong here. But from the sound of things, if they use a standard off the
shelf sensor and give you the appropriate calibration value in software.
Why isn't it possible to set up a small test rig (with your working
Speedpro system to give you a known AFR), get another sensor from your
local auto store and hack the calibration file till you get the Speedpro
reading the same with the new sensor.  Granted, that after you have
replaced the sensor a few times you may just want to check against another
known source, but the principle is there.

Surely if someone can hack a whole ecu, a small cal file shouldn't be all
that hard.  Or am I missing a very important piece of information here ?

Dan  dzorde at erggroup.com