another angle - using a NTK (honda) sensor with a speedpro

Garfield Willis garwillis at msn.com
Wed Sep 20 00:47:20 GMT 2000

On Tue, 19 Sep 2000 17:27:46 -0500, "Jeff Bromberger"
<blownz at home.com> wrote:

>I'd like to
>run leaded gas. I've talked to a bunch of GN guys that say they can get
>about 2000 miles out of one of these sensors w/leaded gas.

If you're able, try to sort out what the *spread* of these longevities
with leaded are, as you gather more inputs from other guys. Because
this data isn't just of interest to SpeedPro guys, it's important for
all the users of the Honda/NTK sensor in general. 2000mi's idn't much
in terms of hours of operation! Plus others have reported getting a
good deal more hours outta them, so whatever you collect in the way of
real hard data on this would be most valuable to others onlist.

>I'd like to buy a
>replacement $99 honda sensor and swap the resistor from my original speedpro
>sensor into it. Wouldn't this convince the speedpro that it's still the same
>sensor? doesn't everything else function the same?

Unfortunately, apparently not. The SpeedPro electrics don't pay
attention to the sensor's internal trim resistor, but rather require
the "calibration floppy" we've just been discussing, and you can only
get that cal diskette from SpeedPro. That's their trick of how to lock
you into getting sensors only thru them.

Gar