350 TPI Fiero

Don Burns donburns at macconnect.com
Sun Sep 24 01:52:57 GMT 2000

Back from the cold north and into the car. Tonight I pulled the connectors
off of the ECM and used contact cleaner on all the pins/sockets just to be
sure all connections are at minimum resistance. Last week I found that the
surface where the ECM is mounted was not bare metal but painted. While
there certainly are grounds via wires there is nothing like having a solid
DC/RF ground to the car chassis with all the noise from the engine flying
around. (ECM is not in engine compartment but just behind it in the small
luggage area. So we sanded down to bare metal where the mounting nuts make
contact, remounted the ECM, and believe it or not I think the mileage has
improved. Will get a better idea in a run to Miami and back tomorrow. Have
not yet looked at integrator and block learn since this ground improvement.

Also used some of that white goop from a tube on the hole at the input side
of the cat to eliminate that leak. The hole was about 1/8 inch diameter.
But have not yet jacked the car to tighten the two bolts where the pipe
connects to the manifold.

Shannen, you mentioned disconnecting the O2 sensor and then observing
engine behavior. This will force a code 13, will it not? Will the block
learn and integrator numbers still be useful under these conditions??

Don

Don Burns
Fort Lauderdale FL   USA
86GT 350 TPI