UEGO and alcohol

Greg Hermann bearbvd at cmn.net
Sun Sep 24 19:40:44 GMT 2000

At 11:53 AM 9/24/00, Jeff Bromberger wrote:
>I've read that whereas a gas motor wants 12:1 - 13:1 AFR an alcohol motor
>wants something closer to 6:1. This is due to the extra oxygen that exists
>in the alcohol itself. My question is, how does the o2 sensor interpret all
>of this? Would it actually read 6:1? If so, i'm guessing that makes the
>speedpro/honda/ntk type 5-wire sensor incompatible with alcohol since they
>bottom out at around 10:1...
>
>thanks,
>jeff

It's a matter of calibration, Jeff. The sensor/driver/meter will read
stoich wherever the alchohol mixture is stoich, and rich and lean to either
side of it. The only question is--what number will the meter give you when
you are where???

The actual VOLTAGE output from the sensor/driver will be the same at stoich
for alky as it would be for stoich for gasoline, etc.

Greg