Autronics owners on list?

clayb clayb at sonic.net
Sun Sep 24 20:22:16 GMT 2000

Anyone else out there have an Autronics?

I'm having trouble setting the boost. I'd be interested in setting it to
6 - 17 psi, (141-216 KPa?) and all points in between.

I'm also trying to get the mixture correct under heavy load/low RPM
conditions, The heated Bosch 4 - wire O2 (pic at
http://www.turbofast.com.au/autronic/Accessories.html) is saying 14.6:1
AFR between 2500 - 3500 RPM, 120 - 130% load (this is calculated from
MAP). I'm thinking I should be closer to 13:1 AFR. I believe the
advertised range for this sensor is 10 - 16:1 Is it unreasonable to use
the O2 as a tuning aid? Exhaust temps have typically been aroun 1000 -
1100 deg. F. (Aluminum water cooled boat exhaust, don't know how much
impact) I have the ECU set open loop so I may get the AFR's correct,
before closing the loop with the O2. I'm using Rochester 96 lb/hr P&H
injectors on a 454 Chevy twin turbo intercooled.

I understand most other ECU parameters related to transient response,
start, warm-up, timing, etc. Boost and mixture have me stumped. If
anyone can help, it would be much appreciated.

A list of control parameters related to boost and mixture follow, along
with their accompanying explanations.

Thanks,

-Clay

The complete doc may be had by clicking "SMC" on this page:
http://www.turbofast.com.au/autronic/documentation.html
Sofware may be found here, ver 1.09:
http://www.turbofast.com.au/autronic/software.html
The values I have input are here:
ftp://ftp.sonic.net/pub/users/clayb/pub/Autronics/Base5.cal
By running the software in a DOS box, and loading Base5.cal, you can see
what I've tried. Initial "Base Fuel Delivery (Vol. Eff.)" table is
currently coarse resolution, finer resolution will come later.

Software ver. 1.09o June 1993, SMC ver 1.18

	Control parameters available in software (Boost):

Boost control setpoint 1 (104 to 510 KPa table coolant temp vs. RPM)
Boost control setpoint 2 (104 to 510 KPa table coolant temp vs. RPM)
Boost control setpoint 3 (104 to 510 KPa table coolant temp vs. RPM)
Boost control range offset (-250 to +250 KPa, table RPM)
Boost control setpoint throttle mod (% throttle pos, I understand this
one)
Boost control range (9 to 250Kpa)
Boost control dynamic comp. (0 to 15)
Boost control sel. 1-2 drive ratio (KpH/1000RPM, I don't have
transmission input to
the SMC)
Boost control sel. 2-3 drive ratio (KpH/1000RPM)

	From the Autronics "documentation"

"WASTE GATE CONTROL CALIBRATIONS"

i. BOOST CONTROL CALIBRATION TABLES.
One turbocharger wastegate control calibration table is
available. The table allows engine speed and engine coolant
temperature dependent setting of the boost level controlled
by the boost control function. The coolant temperature
dependency of the table (if used) allows boost to be, reduced
at elevated engine coolant temperatures in order to minimize
the possibility of engine damage. The table can have up to
10 engine speed calibration sites and 5 engine coolant
temperature calibration sites. Calibration range is
110 to 500 KPa.

ii. BOOST CONTROL THROTTLE MODIFIER CALIBRATION
The boost level determined by the above calibration table
may be made throttle position dependent by setting this table
to effect a reduction in boost under conditions less than full
throttle. The table may have up to 4 throttle position dependent
calibration sites and the range for calibration is 0 to 300KPa.

	Control parameters available in software (Fuel):

Overall Fuel Cal Mult [mSec @ standard condition, single value. (I
calc'd 1.65mS, but what seems to work is 10 mS?)]
Base Fuel Delivery (Vol. Eff.) (0 to 200%, table load vs. RPM)

	From the Autronics "documentation"

"BASE FUEL DELIVERY CALIBRATION"

Basic fuel delivery calibration table providing fine (0.1%) adjustment
of fuel. This
table, the engine "load", barometric pressure and corrections dependent
upon intake and
coolant temperature, acceleration and deceleration and external trims
determine the
actual rate of fuel delivery for all engine operating conditions. The
table data values
being a representation of the engines "Volumetric efficiency" allows
considerable
simplification of the calibration procedure. Up to 32 engine speed and
16 engine load
dependent calibration sites may be chosen at random calibration
intervals giving up to
512 adjustment points. The engine load variable used in this table and
others that follow
below is a function of throttle position if throttle position is chosen
as the primary
input and a function of manifold absolute pressure if pressure is the
primary input.

INJECTION TIME - PRELIMINARY SETUP.
Step 1. Select Overall Fuel Delivery calibration for "Calibration
Scalars I"
variable "Overall fuel Cal. Mult." as follows:
OVERALL FUEL CAL. = 8.112 * D / I
MULT (mSEC)
Where:-
D = CYLINDER DISPLACEMENT (in c.c.)
I = INJECTOR FLOW RATE (in c.c/minute) @ operating pressure.
Using Petrol (Gasoline) with a density of 0.765 g/c.c.
Step 2. Select correct engine static COMPRESSION RATIO for "Calibration
Scalars I"
variable "Comp ratio"
Step 3. Load Base Fuel Delivery (Volumetric efficiency) table as
follows:
i. Engine is to be setup using throttle position as the primary load
input
(engine is not supercharged or turbocharged)
_______< Base Fuel Delivery (Vol. Eff) % (0 to 200) >_________
ENGINE SPEED RPM
LOAD 0 2000 PEAK TORQUE RPM PEAK POWER RPM
0.0 25.0 25.0 25.0 30.0
30.0 70.0 60.0 60.0 50.0
70.0 80.0 80.0 100.0 90.0
100.0 80.0 80.0 110.0 100.0
ii. Engine is to be setup using manifold absolute pressure as the
primary load
input.
_______< Base Fuel Delivery (Vol. Eff) % (0 to 200) >_________
ENGINE SPEED RPM
LOAD 0 2000 PEAK TORQUE RPM PEAK POWER RPM
0.0 60.0 70.0 80.0 70.0
70.0 70.0 80.0 110.0 100.0
100.0 70.0 80.0 110.0 100.0
400.0 80.0 80.0 110.0 100.0
This preliminary selection will generally result in a safe RICH fuel
calibration, but extreme caution should be exercised until the fuel
delivery
has been fully matched to the engines exact requirements.