GM OEM TBI up to 420hp?

Ross Corrigan 280zx at home.com
Wed Sep 27 03:26:56 GMT 2000

--=====================_100141331==_.ALT

Well I have another question, I never did see my first one "converting carb
to an 'airdoor'" make it to the list but I did get one reply.  While I'm
waiting for a good programmable ECU to show up my interest in starting with
an OE GM TBI setup is growing. I've read the 'programming 101'  and 'what
you need' and it looks to me like one can spend $200US on hardware and then
combine software and you can start tailoring your own EPROM's
correct?  Looked like software editing app's have come a ways since I last
thought about this a few years ago as well.

Is their an OEM GM 4bbl TBI unit that will flow enough to support a roller
350 with 420'ish flywheel hp? And naturally will the injectors feed it and
if not can they be upgraded and at what cost? I came across a kewl setup on
a sbc 350 cross-ram intake w/ dual 2bbl's described as follows that I'd
like any input on (not sure on writer's experience as car his car hasn't
seen much use yet and this is a new venture for him). Haven't scared up a
low rise cross ram intake yet but who knows....
"The Tbi.'s I am
using right now are off of a 2.8 V6 and flow 360+ cfm. each from the
factory and
can be reworked to over 400+ cfm each. The 5.7 Tbi.'s I have as backups in the
garage flow 620+ cfm. factory and can be reworked to over 680 cfm. I am
starting
small to see if I need more flow or not. The 2.8 should be fine for the
combo I
have so I see no problems on the horizon. The wiring
harness is off of a 305 chev. half ton. All you need to do is split the
wiring for
the Tb.'s for the second set. The drop in voltage does not effect anything
as it
takes only a small amount of voltage to fire the injector. "

Been informed of an '84 vette with full EFI available but doubt it has
anything suitable for my needs?

Thanks in advance for any info, the documentation on the websites is great
and kudo's to everyone's efforts!

PS Did I read right that EPROM's etc are only $1 each?  I called our local
electronics wholesaler and all his prices were tenfold higher on everything
so digikey is looking good:-)  ie. if I buy 10 EPROMS I should be able to
burn my trials/erase and reburn on same chips saving a few for various
configurations right?  It read quite simple on website and just want to
verify that. The interpretation and reprogramming I know is more involved
with skilled interpretation. Any recc'd reading for being more aware of
skill for interpreting/rewriting the chips?

Ross Corrigan

--=====================_100141331==_.ALT

Well I have another question, I never did see my first one
&quot;converting carb to an 'airdoor'&quot; make it to the list but I did
get one reply.&nbsp; While I'm waiting for a good programmable ECU to
show up my interest in starting with an OE GM TBI setup is growing. I've
read the 'programming 101'&nbsp; and 'what you need' and it looks to me
like one can spend $200US on hardware and then combine software and you
can start tailoring your own EPROM's correct?&nbsp; Looked like software
editing app's have come a ways since I last thought about this a few
years ago as well.<br>
Is their an OEM GM 4bbl TBI unit that will flow enough to support a
roller 350 with 420'ish flywheel hp? And naturally will the injectors
feed it and if not can they be upgraded and at what cost? I came across a
kewl setup on a sbc 350 cross-ram intake w/ dual 2bbl's described as
follows that I'd like any input on (not sure on writer's experience as
car his car hasn't seen much use yet and this is a new venture for him).
Haven't scared up a low rise cross ram intake yet but who knows....<br>
&quot;<font size=3>The Tbi.'s I am <br>
using right now are off of a 2.8 V6 and flow 360+ cfm. each from the
factory and <br>
can be reworked to over 400+ cfm each. The 5.7 Tbi.'s I have as backups
in the <br>
garage flow 620+ cfm. factory and can be reworked to over 680 cfm. I am
starting <br>
small to see if I need more flow or not. The 2.8 should be fine for the
combo I <br>
have so I see no problems on the horizon. The wiring <br>
harness is off of a 305 chev. half ton. All you need to do is split the
wiring for <br>
the Tb.'s for the second set. The drop in voltage does not effect
anything as it <br>
takes only a small amount of voltage to fire the injector. &quot;<br>
Been informed of an '84 vette with full EFI available but doubt it has
anything suitable for my needs?<br>
Thanks in advance for any info, the documentation on the websites is
great and kudo's to everyone's efforts!<br>
called our local electronics wholesaler and all his prices were tenfold
higher on everything so digikey is looking good:-)&nbsp; ie. if I buy 10
EPROMS I should be able to burn my trials/erase and reburn on same chips
saving a few for various configurations right?&nbsp; It read quite simple
on website and just want to verify that. The interpretation and
reprogramming I know is more involved with skilled interpretation. Any
recc'd reading for being more aware of skill for interpreting/rewriting
the chips?<br>
Ross Corrigan<br>