GM OEM TBI up to 420hp?

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Wed Sep 27 04:32:39 GMT 2000

------=_NextPart_000_0147_01C0281A.6BD11860

Well I have another question, I never did see my first one "converting =
carb to an 'airdoor'" make it to the list but I did get one reply. =20

Yep, it was here, sometimes not much to speak about.

While I'm waiting for a good programmable ECU to show up my interest in =
starting with an OE GM TBI setup is growing. I've read the 'programming =
101'  and 'what you need' and it looks to me like one can spend $200US =
on hardware and then combine software and you can start tailoring your =
own EPROM's correct? =20

Yep

Looked like software editing app's have come a ways since I last thought =
about this a few years ago as well.

Yep

Is their an OEM GM 4bbl TBI unit that will flow enough to support a =
roller 350 with 420'ish flywheel hp?

Nope,  talk about driver boards and such,  Cherry Semiconductor sells =
the drivers, thou.

 And naturally will the injectors feed it and if not can they be =
upgraded and at what cost? I came across a kewl setup on a sbc 350 =
cross-ram intake w/ dual 2bbl's described as follows that I'd like any =
input on (not sure on writer's experience as car his car hasn't seen =
much use yet and this is a new venture for him). Haven't scared up a low =
rise cross ram intake yet but who knows....
"The Tbi.'s I am=20
using right now are off of a 2.8 V6 and flow 360+ cfm. each from the =
factory and=20
can be reworked to over 400+ cfm each. The 5.7 Tbi.'s I have as backups =
in the=20
garage flow 620+ cfm. factory and can be reworked to over 680 cfm. I am =
starting=20
small to see if I need more flow or not. The 2.8 should be fine for the =
combo I=20
have so I see no problems on the horizon. The wiring=20
harness is off of a 305 chev. half ton. All you need to do is split the =
wiring for=20
the Tb.'s for the second set. The drop in voltage does not effect =
anything as it=20
takes only a small amount of voltage to fire the injector. "

Been informed of an '84 vette with full EFI available but doubt it has =
anything suitable for my needs?

True, that ecm is nothing to get excited about and with the 747 hac'd no =
real need to.

Thanks in advance for any info, the documentation on the websites is =
great and kudo's to everyone's efforts!

PS Did I read right that EPROM's etc are only $1 each?=20

Might have to buy a bunch, but that ain't a special price
Problem is the holders for the C3 ecms/

 I called our local electronics wholesaler and all his prices were =
tenfold higher on everything so digikey is looking good:-)  ie. if I buy =
10 EPROMS I should be able to burn my trials/erase and reburn on same =
chips saving a few for various configurations right?  It read quite =
simple on website and just want to verify that. The interpretation and =
reprogramming I know is more involved with skilled interpretation. Any =
recc'd reading for being more aware of skill for interpreting/rewriting =
the chips?

Yep DIY_EFI, and GMECM archives  <g>
Bruce

Ross Corrigan

------=_NextPart_000_0147_01C0281A.6BD11860

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>Well I have another question, I never did see my first one =
"converting carb=20
to an 'airdoor'" make it to the list but I did get one reply.&nbsp; =
</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Yep, it was here, sometimes not much to =
speak=20
about.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>While I'm waiting for a good programmable ECU to show up my =
interest in=20
starting with an OE GM TBI setup is growing. I've read the 'programming=20
101'&nbsp; and 'what you need' and it looks to me like one can spend =
$200US on=20
hardware and then combine software and you can start tailoring your own =
EPROM's=20
correct?&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Yep</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>Looked like software editing app's have come a ways since I last =
thought=20
about this a few years ago as well.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Yep</FONT><BR><BR>Is their an OEM GM =
4bbl TBI unit=20
that will flow enough to support a roller 350 with 420'ish flywheel =
hp?</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Nope,&nbsp; talk about driver boards =
and=20
such,&nbsp; Cherry Semiconductor sells the drivers, thou.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;And naturally will the injectors feed it and if not can they =
be=20
upgraded and at what cost? I came across a kewl setup on a sbc 350 =
cross-ram=20
intake w/ dual 2bbl's described as follows that I'd like any input on =
(not sure=20
on writer's experience as car his car hasn't seen much use yet and this =
is a new=20
venture for him). Haven't scared up a low rise cross ram intake yet but =
who=20
knows....<BR>"<FONT size=3D3>The Tbi.'s I am <BR>using right now are off =
of a 2.8=20
V6 and flow 360+ cfm. each from the factory and <BR>can be reworked to =
over 400+=20
cfm each. The 5.7 Tbi.'s I have as backups in the <BR>garage flow 620+ =
cfm.=20
factory and can be reworked to over 680 cfm. I am starting <BR>small to =
see if I=20
need more flow or not. The 2.8 should be fine for the combo I <BR>have =
so I see=20
no problems on the horizon. The wiring <BR>harness is off of a 305 chev. =
half=20
ton. All you need to do is split the wiring for <BR>the Tb.'s for the =
second=20
set. The drop in voltage does not effect anything as it <BR>takes only a =
small=20
amount of voltage to fire the injector. "<BR><BR>Been informed of an '84 =
vette=20
with full EFI available but doubt it has anything suitable for my=20
needs?<BR></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>True, that ecm is nothing to get =
excited about and=20
with the 747 hac'd no real need to.</FONT></DIV><FONT size=3D3><FONT =
face=3DArial=20
size=3D2></FONT><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>
<DIV><BR>Thanks in advance for any info, the documentation on the =
websites is=20
great and kudo's to everyone's efforts!<BR><BR></FONT>PS Did I read =
right that=20
EPROM's etc are only $1 each?&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Might have to buy a bunch, but that =
ain't a special=20
price</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Problem is the holders for the C3=20
ecms/</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;I called our local electronics wholesaler and all his prices =
were=20
tenfold higher on everything so digikey is looking good:-)&nbsp; ie. if =
I buy 10=20
EPROMS I should be able to burn my trials/erase and reburn on same chips =
saving=20
a few for various configurations right?&nbsp; It read quite simple on =
website=20
and just want to verify that. The interpretation and reprogramming I =
know is=20
more involved with skilled interpretation. Any recc'd reading for being =
more=20
aware of skill for interpreting/rewriting the chips?</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Yep DIY_EFI, and GMECM archives&nbsp;=20
&lt;g&gt;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Bruce</FONT><BR><BR>Ross=20
Corrigan<BR></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0147_01C0281A.6BD11860--