GM OEM TBI up to 420hp?

Walter Sherwin wsherwin at home.com
Thu Sep 28 02:21:32 GMT 2000

------=_NextPart_000_003E_01C028D1.58EA4D40

Hey Ross there are three TBI hardware approaches that you may want to =
consider, if you want to feed a 420'ish HP V8 at reasonable [less than =
6000 - beyond is quite impractical]  RPM's.......

1) My favourite, due to simplicity and reliability..........Use a BBC =
2bbl twin 2" blade TBI [say for example a 17091047 assembly  - or =
anything from a post 91 application will get you the better IAC and TPS =
setup] with a set of good BBC TBI low pressure injectors [say 17112560 - =
engraved 17084304]  and install a bolt-in-place  post 94 BBC 26-32psig =
TBI regulator [17113079].  This will get you roughly 670 CFM @ 3"Hg =
airflow, and about 250 #/HR of maximum fuel flow.  Oh, and you might as =
well buy a Holley 12-903 [or 12-903HP] gerotor in-tank EFI pump kit [or =
maybe even a Bosch GFP216 in-tank pump if you don't mind the cost of =
this rollervane unit], and be sure to run it all through a GM "spin-on" =
EFI medium duty truck TBI fuel filter assembly [15694406 - the =
replacement cartridge is 15577756 - good for 400+ #/Hr flow at less than =
0.5psig pressure drop - also allows for use of either the Rochester =
style fuel line fittings or for the use of conventional pipe thread =
fittings by screwing out the inlet/outlet adapters].  Use any GM TBI =
dual channel box that you wish, and program away.  Additionally this =
allows you to use either conventional TBI intake manifolds [which you =
***really*** will want with TBI fuel , with EGR if required], or you can =
adapt quite easily to any intake manifold that you may be thinking of.  =
You won't find this info posted anywhere else on the face of this =
planet, but it works extremely well, and all of the parts can be =
obtained via the local U-Pull or your friendly GM dealer, at reasonable =
cost.

2) My second choice........Is a Holley 4bbl TBI assembly [there were not =
any OE 4bbl GM TBI assemblies produced - but there were some OE marine =
4bbl TBI setups [[volvo]] which were based around the now commonly =
available Holley TBI assemblies].  Holley has a number of TBI offerings, =
with IAC, up to a max of 900 CFM @ 1.5"Hg airflow and up to 312 #/Hr @ =
15psig fuel flow.  These 4bbl units work well, and can be controlled by =
any GM dual channel TBI box, but external injector drivers will be =
required.  The archives are full of guys ***trying*** to run four TBI =
injectors from just the two OE GM TBI 4/1 injector drivers [in two =
series banks], but,  you ***really*** want to drive each of the Holley =
TBI injectors via an individual 4/1 amp P&H driver for best/predictable =
results.

3) I have not personally tried this last approach..........Dual 2bbl =
TBI's, a couple of my colleagues have tried this with excellent results. =
 About all I can offer in this arena is that they used dual 5.7 litre =
TBI's, on an old non-EGR "Offy" style dual carb intake manifold, wired =
the IAC's in parallel, and used a GM dual channel TBI ECM together with =
external injector drivers.  Seemed to work well, based on their =
feedback.  I'd like some driving time behind one of these, as I have a =
few unresolved misgivings pertaining to mixture distribution and =
throttle modulation.

Hope this helps;
Walt.

  ----- Original Message -----=20