GM OEM TBI up to 420hp?

Ross Corrigan 280zx at home.com
Thu Sep 28 03:42:41 GMT 2000

First off thanks for the detailed effort in your reply.

>Hey Ross there are three TBI hardware approaches that you may want to
>consider, if you want to feed a 420'ish HP V8 at reasonable [less than
>6000 - beyond is quite impractical] RPM's.......

Impractical as in just not needed with an appropriate power band setup
below that? Motor will run to 6500 easily. In my setup I don't need it as
shifts up their are unnerving for me:-( Don't like jumping sideways.

 >  Oh, and you might as well buy a Holley 12-903 [or 12-903HP] gerotor
in-tank EFI pump kit

Can I use an out of tank pump? My car was EFI OEM so tank/outlet is baffled
etc.

 >conventional TBI intake manifolds [which you ***really*** will want with
TBI fuel , with EGR if required]

Now which TBI intake would I want? I've understood (correction welcome as
usual) OE ones won't flow past 5500 tops. Mine has to flow to 6000 or a
hair below.  Fairly simple 'adaptor' I assume to bolt your 2bbl TB above to
the intake?

2) My second choice........Is a Holley 4bbl TBI assembly [there were not
any OE 4bbl GM TBI assemblies produced

-now I do know of a holley 4D setup that's their 700cfm model barely used
for $325US, seems high for the TB but I guess I'd get
pump/injectors/regulator etc as well and I could drive it with GM ECU if I
wanted??

[I have a hard time getting my mind around 2-2" blades feeding 400hp when I
see same inlet size on prepped 240Z's. Obviously they're not making max use
of that inlet as they're not running twice my rpm to ingest same air.]

Now possibly from outside misinformation I have assumed I can't do this
'custom/plug'n'play' setup with multiport?  747 ecu etc is all TBI is it or
can it be used on multport?  Costs of ECU and injectors were holding me
back from multiport.  I've seen 30pph SVO and bosch/takeoff injectors
regularly on ebay etc for quite cheap ($50 and up) but have been told I
should run 36pph? If a the GM ECU can be cheaply used for TPI as well I'd
love to hear about it as I just realized I'd assumed from outside info this
could not be done and seeing the plethora of info/experience on this list
I'm hoping I might be told otherwise?

Ideally I'd like MPI plumbed on my Vic. Jr. if I can find the system within
my budget. TBI could be fun meantime if MPI is too pricey.

thanks again

Ross (study a page, read an email....study a page....) C
***email changed to 280zx at home.com ***

Ross Corrigan  /  Vancouver, Canada          4.11 R200's available

  '80 327ZX   IZCC#255, Edmonton Z-car Club #44, British Columbia ZCR
Life's a journey, not a destination.. Enjoy the pitstops and maximize the
straights
mailto:280zx at home.com      ICQ # 11549358
http://home.iSTAR.ca/~zxv/index.shtml
http://207.212.212.139/~corrigan/gearheads/pics/wheels/sirbg.jpg    where a