Need Serial Comm port help!!!

Jeff Webb mustang at ufl.edu
Fri Apr 6 02:07:44 GMT 2001

Ludis Langens wrote:
> Perhaps your DFI software hits the hardware directly, and assumes a
> certain access timing.

This is possible.  I've had one particular program (PCBUG11) that tends
to run better on old DOS machines because it accesses the ports directly
and relies on some timing loops.  It doesn't use the windows COM
functions.  You can try hitting F8 when you boot to go to the "real" DOS
mode in Win98.  Things might work a little better.

If that doesn't work, try getting a serial port tester from Radio
Shack.  I have one that's a pass-through with LED's for all the serial
lines.  You can usually tell if the port is doing anything at all.

Jeff Webb