Adding a resistor to raise injector impedance - Comments?

Jurgen Hartwig jhartwig at midsouth.rr.com
Tue Apr 10 14:16:34 GMT 2001

In studying two aftermarket engine management setups, I have been
focusing attention on the injector outputs.  Both systems, Wolf 3D and
MIC3, have peak and hold drivers.  The Wolf 3D manual states that I
can run any number of injectors, provided my effective impedance is no
less than 1.1 ohms.  The MIC3 manual states the driver can manage up
to 4 amps of current.  However, both show instances in which you can
run a resistor inline with the injector bank, to raise the resistance.
Obviously, this resistor would need to be large to handle the current,
but is this considered a bad practice?

I am curious if anyone else has run into this issue, or do you guys
avoid this by using saturated injectors?

Would it be possible to use the injector outputs from the ECU to drive
a second set of injector drivers?  I watched the thread about
peak-and-hold injector drivers, but nothing seemed to materialize, and
according to one of the webpages on the DIY-EFI site, the Motorola
MC3484 injector driver is no longer in production.  Web searches, so
far, haven't yielded much on 'injector drivers'.

Your comments would be duly appreciated.

Regards,
Jay
jhartwig at midsouth.rr.com