Subject: HEI Distributor Tach Drive

Dan Plaskett dynastydan at worldnet.att.net
Wed Apr 11 16:58:26 GMT 2001

On  Tue, 10 Apr 2001 20:44:02 -0400
Mike Turner <miketurner at ieee.org> wrote:

> A friend and I are getting ready to swap a TPI into a 72 corvette. He
> wants to keep the mechanical drive tach but change to the small cap hei
> ignition. Does anyone know of a way to convert the hei distributor to
> tach drive? Suggestions? So far, I've told him it's a mechanical
> problem. I can get away with this because he's the gearhead and I'm the
> sparky/bithead on this endeavor. TIA.

Mike,

Been down this road.  I have a 61 vette with a TPI and also wanted to retain
the mechanical tach drive.  No one sells units commercially.  The good news
is that Jim Dwyer of High Tech Innovations, 4625 Panorama Ave., Holiday, FL
34690    (727) 942-4003  will convert your HEI distributor to run the
mechanical tach.  He prefers to use the big head HEI units as they are
better constructed but he told me that he would do the small head units too.
I had my large head unit converted for about $350 as I recall.  Good luck
and have fun with your conversion project.

Dan Plaskett