Aftercooler Gains

BamaInstrument BamaInstrument at email.msn.com
Tue Apr 17 21:57:34 GMT 2001

I'm not so much interested in high performance in a drag race as having
consistent high power for years.  I look at the intercooler as a device
which allows me to run universally available gasoline with a turbo engine.
So I'm interested.

Q.  Where do you get the 20HP loss?  1 BTU is one pound of water 1 degree F
in one Hour and the small auto Air Conditioners produce 5,000 BTU.  That is
83 Lbs of water or about 10 CuFt of water per minute 1 degree F.  I'm having
trouble converting that into CFM/degree F/min. But I believe that we have
about 18,000 CuFt of air at 1 degree C/min or 500 CFM at 36 Degrees F.  So
if the air is intercooled to, say, 120 degrees F then the AC cooler would
take it down to 94 degrees F.

There is a good chance that my math is wrong, please help!

dh