Aftercooler Gains

Jon Davis jfdavis at epix.net
Thu Apr 19 02:37:47 GMT 2001

Greg Hermann wrote:

> 57,542 BTU's of cooling effect needed, per hour. This is about ELEVEN
TIMES
> the amount of chilling effect that little automotive AC unit is able to
> make!!!

So in other words, supposing your car was a huge tank and took 15 seconds to
do the 1/4 mile using all 450 hp (and supposing it actually made the peak hp
the whole time)... you would use about 240 BTU - which that puny automotive
A/C would take less than 3 minutes to remove from the system. So you need a
little thermal storage, how about a water-air intercooler? You could make
significant improvements to this system by using an air-air "pre-cooler" to
drop the charge air to ambient before super cooling it. According to your
figures, it wouldn't be very hard to have a 50 degree intake charge on a 100
degree day.

> No do you see where I got the 20 HP number??

Since when do you use 450 hp for any length of time? I didn't think the guy
was talking about long-haul diesels or race cars. The idea isn't too good
for that application, but for a sports car that you just romp on once in a
while for kicks, it's a pretty good idea. This would work especially well in
a system where the compressor only runs to keep the coolant at some preset
temperature, and shuts off at WOT for max hp, much like regular A/C. I think
the super-cooler should even be bypassed most of the time, perhaps linked to
the throttle or boost pressure, so it's only used when needed.

Jon Davis