Twin Centrifugals VS Single

Eric Fahlgren efahl at adams.com
Thu Apr 19 13:45:07 GMT 2001

James Ballenger wrote:

>         How much does a centrifugal draw to run?  Why not just use a little CVT
> appropriately sized and tuned?

A mechanical CVT wouldn't know about engine load, thus would
attempt to keep supercharger RPM at its setpoint regardless
of throttle opening.  I was thinking more along the lines of
an n-alpha controller which would control boost without bypass
valves or what not.  Consider the towing-up-a-hill scenario
followed by coasting down, all maintaining the same engine
speed.  You want the charger RPMs to change grossly (depending
on throttle opening), while the engine remains at a fixed speed.

Ok, now that I think about this, sure, you could hook the throttle
cable to something on the CVT and make this work with a purely
mechanical system.

--
Eric Fahlgren                            Mechanical Dynamics, Inc
efahl at adams.com                          Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA