Aftercooler Gains

Greg Hermann bearbvd at cmn.net
Thu Apr 19 03:55:58 GMT 2001

At 10:43 PM 4/18/01, Jon Davis wrote:
>Greg Hermann wrote:
>

>> 57,542 BTU's of cooling effect needed, per hour. This is about ELEVEN
>TIMES
>> the amount of chilling effect that little automotive AC unit is able to
>> make!!!
>
>So in other words, supposing your car was a huge tank and took 15 seconds to
>do the 1/4 mile using all 450 hp (and supposing it actually made the peak hp
>the whole time)... you would use about 240 BTU -

Which is the amount of heat it takes to melt 1.67 lbs of ice.--But if this
is for a DRAG car, why not use DRY ice in acetone, and get a solution at
about -75 degrees F for the intercooler?? After all, you're not going to
run it long enough to make frosting up the intercooler a big concern,
either!

 which that puny automotive
>A/C would take less than 3 minutes to remove from the system. So you need a
>little thermal storage, how about a water-air intercooler? You could make
>significant improvements to this system by using an air-air "pre-cooler" to
>drop the charge air to ambient before super cooling it. According to your
>figures, it wouldn't be very hard to have a 50 degree intake charge on a 100
>degree day.

Just don't forget to figure the weight of the thermal storage against your
performance improvement.

>> No do you see where I got the 20 HP number??
>
>Since when do you use 450 hp for any length of time? I didn't think the guy
>was talking about long-haul diesels or race cars.

Til you said that, I was gonna say a Cummins 555 does it pretty easily!! :-)

 The idea isn't too good
>for that application, but for a sports car that you just romp on once in a
>while for kicks, it's a pretty good idea. This would work especially well in
>a system where the compressor only runs to keep the coolant at some preset
>temperature, and shuts off at WOT for max hp, much like regular A/C. I think
>the super-cooler should even be bypassed most of the time, perhaps linked to
>the throttle or boost pressure, so it's only used when needed.

There ARE some possibilities---

Greg