K-Jet /PIC Valve

The Punisher punisher454 at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 23 22:34:44 GMT 2001

James: Thanks, I'll check out that KE-Jet electronic regulator scheme. And
the Accuracy problem of my stepper or servo system would not be a
problem(feedback to the micro with a shaft encoder or pot). And I'm thinking
of a valve that would require little torque(the fuel pressure would not work
against the valve). My first thought was to just put a servo on the flapper
valve arm but thats TOO bulky and would require a lot of power with powerful
driver circuitry and that brings the complexity/cost back up to that of
electronic injector driver schemes.

The only thing I wanted off the K-jet system was the injectors, lines and
cold start injector.

I spent some time trying to draw the valve I had in mind this morning. I
think I'll go look at some off the shelf valves before I go any further. The
reason being the torque requirement, I can get the motors to do it, but I
want it small,light, and inexpensive to build using mostly off the shelf,and
common wrecking yard parts.
I DO NOT want to use the bosch fuel distributor. I wanted to use a sort of a
spool valve but now think that a ball valve or a barrel valve would work
fine. I'll just have to write a little more code and do more calibration
testing to convert valve position to flow in a linear fashion. Last time I
did this with a pic it took about 125-175Bytes of code to linearize a curve
like a similar type curve. Also a ball or barrel valve would not require
very much torque for a stepper or servo.
The fuel lines would all be connected to a common manifold(fuel block) sort
of like on a race mechanical setup. This block would be fed by the
ball/spool/barrel valve. A servo would control the the valve. A bypas
regulator would feed the valve. The regulator would have a very simple
restrictor valve in the return(possibly a pulsed solenoid on a pwm) but
trimming the fuel pressure is the EASY part.

Airflow measurement will be acomplished with either map or maf. MAF seems
MUCH simpler to program and would take up a little less code space. To get
around the problems of restriction caused by the MAF I am thinking about
twin medium sized units instead of one large aftermarket unit(the whole
project is to be INEXPENSIVE) I could just add the airflow numbers together
and get a total that way.(very little extra code needed). I have been having
trouble finding many voltage:flow charts for common OEM MAF's(I did find 1
chart for 2 ford MAF's)
For idle air I will probably use a gm type IAC, but does anybody know
anything about the ford type(like on 100gazillion ford's)? I think somebody
said they are a servo instead of a stepper.

I'm working with a 427 Big Block Chevy here so big airflow is needed! I'm
using 4 small 1 barrel(58-60mm cant remember right now) throttlebodies off
jap cars. These are common, compact, have a nice compact square bolt pattern
and dont look too bad. With a custom Plenum atop a Weiand Hi-Ram I can adapt
more or fewer throttle bodies REAL easy.(if 4x60mm is too much,3x60mm will
be easy). I also have a 455 buick and a 400 pontiac to expirement with.

a few cold start injectors up near the throttlebodies could be pulsed if the
injector valve proves too slow for rapid acceleration(they atomize good,even
at low pressure) and could be used for 'cold starting'.(but cold start
injectors are starting to get like electronic injectors and thats not the
goal here).

Anyhow this is just an idea I came up with the other day. I AM NOT saying
that I think this is better that a regular electronic system(but might be
easier in a special cases). I just want to try something different.