Need tips on hall sensors and distributors

Jurgen Hartwig jhartwig at midsouth.rr.com
Sun Apr 29 14:07:29 GMT 2001

Guys, I have decided to go with the Autronic SMC engine management system.
It appears to be a fine system at a very reasonable price.

Since the SMC has sequential injection, I cannot use a crank trigger alone.
I have to identify cylinder #1.  I don't have a cam sensor, so my only
source for the cylinder #1 reference pulse is the distributor.  I have been
searching for information about hall sensors over the net, and found
Cherry's Sensor pages.  Their site helped gave good info, but I am trying to
get some ideas of how I can obtain the necessary trigger signals.  For my 4
cylinder engine, I need one pulse per combustion stroke.  I also need the
single pulse to identify cylinder #1 at 10-50 degrees BTDC.

I search through the archives and heard of guys making a vane plate for
mounting in the distributor with a hall sensor.  However, no real details
were provided.  My other option is to mount a crank trigger for the
reference pulses, and a distributor sensor for the cylinder #1 trigger.

I am also wondering if I can mount two hall sensors inside the distributor
for both signals.  I know the OEMs did this, but they also had some custom
sensors built for their needs.  Unfortunately, I don't have pick-a-part
junkyards, so digging through junkyards is not an easy task.

As long as the temp range of the sensor is adequate (say -40 to 125 C) can I
use any of the $1 hall sensors, provided it has the amplifier and filtering
onboard?

Digi-key appears to be the only online source for the hall sensors.  Any
other companies with which I should consult?

Thanks in advance,
Jay