Need tips on hall sensors and distributors

Jurgen Hartwig jhartwig at midsouth.rr.com
Sun Apr 29 15:16:06 GMT 2001

> I use a haltech S4 dual flying magnet trigger with my autronic, It
responds
> to magnets of different polarity. I use a cam wheel with five north
polarity
> magnets (five cylinders) and one south polarity magnet for the Compression
> TDC#1.

I will be running the Autronic on a flat four air-cooled engine in my
Porsche 912E.  Access to the camshaft gear is difficult.  I haven't figured
out any elegant way to run directly from the camshaft that does not involve
tearing down the engine.

> I can make CNC machined trigger wheels if you can't get a local machine
shop
> to do it at a decent price.

I have a milling machine and rotary table, so hopefully a trigger wheel will
not be too difficult.  It won't be as pretty as CNC, but my labor is cheap.
:) If I do need something, I will be sure to ask.

> Can you use your crank trigger together with the autronic without the
> reluctor interface?

Well, I don't have a crank trigger on the engine now, but Cherry makes a
nice threaded barrel hall sensor that I can use.  I think the reluctor
interface is only for magnetic triggers.  All the hall sensors I've seen
have square wave output already, so no problem.

> Or you could also use autronics plug wire sensor, it attaches to the #1
plug
> wire and you are all set.

Well, I can use the plug wire sensor, but I would prefer to not use the
distributor.  I want to use the hall sensors, so that I can go with waste
spark coils.  I suppose the easiest way out is to use the crank trigger hall
sensor, and then a second sensor in the distributor to find cylinder #1.
However, if I can get both sensors inside the gutted distributor, that would
be better, in my opinion.  I am hoping someone has some input or perhaps has
had to deal with this in the past.

> By the way, where do you live?

Tennessee, USA.  It's a long swim to Sweden. :)

Regards,
Jay