Need tips on hall sensors and distributors

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Mon Apr 30 00:33:12 GMT 2001

miked tapped away at the keyboard with:

> From: "Jurgen Hartwig" <jhartwig at midsouth.rr.com>

> > Guys, I have decided to go with the Autronic SMC engine
> > management system.  It appears to be a fine system at a very
> > reasonable price.

> > Since the SMC has sequential injection, I cannot use a crank
> > trigger alone.  I have to identify cylinder #1.  I don't have a
> > cam sensor, so my only source for the cylinder #1 reference
> > pulse is the distributor.  I have been searching for information
> > about hall sensors over the net, and found Cherry's Sensor
> > pages.  Their site helped gave good info, but I am trying to get
> > some ideas of how I can obtain the necessary trigger signals.
> > For my 4 cylinder engine, I need one pulse per combustion
> > stroke.  I also need the single pulse to identify cylinder #1 at
> > 10-50 degrees BTDC.

[snip]

> Also VW Golfs with Digifant injection have a very compact hall
> sensor.  They only use it for rpm sensing.  This could be
> convertable??

The Hall sensor in the distributor is used for both fuel injection
and spark timing. Digifant is a digital implementation of the Bosch
L-Jetronic fuel injection with iginition timing added on.

The Hall sensor provides edges at 6 and 78 degrees BTDC (nominally).
The distributor has no advance mechanism and therefore mirrors
camshaft position. The engine typically uses the 6 degree timing for
base timing.

Sorry; neither of those two signals is nominally within the required
range for your intended application; unless you offset the vane by
an appropriate amount. It's only 4 degrees offset so the rotor
should be OK for spark.

--
Bernd Felsche - Innovative Reckoning, Perth, Western Australia