DIY-EGOR status

David Hunt bamainc at home.com
Thu Aug 2 17:34:07 GMT 2001

I did the recent artwork and it was reviewed (thank you very much) but only
by one person.  Unfortunately I misnamed the file as #egorsch.zip.  It is in
the archives at:

ftp://ftp.diy-efi.org/incoming

Most web browsers will go there by clicking the above address, although a
FTP program would be better.  After unzipping the file contains EVERYTHING
needed to make the current version of the board with ORCAD SDT.  That is the
only version I own.  I would have used the recent free ORCAD stuff but their
limit is 60 devices, which is just barely too few for this design.

I was very much hoping that some discourse would be generated to determine -

1) The types of connectors to be used.  -   At this time I'm using .1"
headers for the connections.  For example, I would think that a mini DIN for
the sensor would be cool.  Other suggestions would be appropriate.

2) The enclosure to be used - I was looking at some of the self contained
battery enclosures I found one (I forget where right now) that was a meter
case with the 9 Volt battery terminals built in.  There is also the
possibility of having the unit powered by the automobile which would require
me to add a 12 Volt option and possibly change the case and/or add a
switch...etc.

3) The type of output - Right now is the time to add output options.  I can
see an LED bar graph which would be a battery killer, but not out of the
question - especially if the unit were car powered. The NiMH batteries would
certainly help the battery situation of an LED bar graph were added.  An
output scaled to use a panel meter is an option.  And even an LCD output
that reads out in A/F is possible.

Input is requested.

In regard to the EGOR.  Don't ever underestimate the importance of quality
design and support.  For example, I don't understand the present WB design.
I am only laying out the board.  I'd like to, understand it better but that
isn't a priority right now.  You may or may not be able to find me or
another person that has any relationship with the WB in the future.  There
will be no unified support for the WB and there is no indication that parts
will be available in the future.  Just to give you an example.  I haven't
worked on the project for quite some time and I am not apologetic.  It is a
background task.  I have more pressing tasks.  This is not my income...etc.
I don't think that this would surprise anyone, nor do I think that it upsets
anyone.  It's a hobby thing.

If you purchase an EGOR I suspect that you will get a well thought out,
commercial design that is designed with good packaging, support and
durability.

In other words, the WB project is a hobby project and the EGOR is a
commercial product.  They have little in common.  If I had the money and it
was very important to me, say I made my living at it, I"d buy an EGOR.

Also,  we are where we are today due to the efforts of others,  and I for
one appreciate their efforts.  Many others.

dh